2017 Paul Hunter Classic Last 64
2017 China Championship Quarter-final
2017 Riga Masters Last 128
- 1 Ranking event win: 1999 British Open
- O’Brien was involved in the longest ever frame in 2017 World Championship qualifying. He clinched a 10-9 victory over David Gilbert in a mammoth 2 hours 3 minutes frame. He lost out in the first round at the Crucible to World Champion Mark Selby.
- The Irishman produced a record breaking performance to defeat Barry Hawkins in a remarkable last 64 encounter at the 2016 UK Championship. O’Brien made five centuries to win the tie 6-5, a record number of hundred breaks for a best of 11 tie.
- He reached the last 32 and beyond in seven events during a solid 2015/16 season.
- O’Brien made the last 32 at the Welsh Open after a gutsy 53 break in the final frame helped him to a 4-3 win over Ali Carter.
- O’Brien reached the final of the 2014 Gdynia Open in Poland before being denied the trophy by Shaun Murphy, losing 4-1.
- The Irishman made his first ranking event final in eight years with a brilliant run at the 2007 Northern Ireland Trophy in Belfast. He scored a superb 5-4 win over John Higgins and went on to beat Barry Hawkins, Mark Allen and Ronnie O’Sullivan to reach the final, where he succumbed to Stephen Maguire.
- He showed his battling qualities in the 1999 British Open, winning four of his six matches on a deciding frame then overcoming Anthony Hamilton 9-7 in the final to claim his first and only ranking title to date.
- He’s an enthusiastic runner with Lucan Harriers. He and wife Jean have a daughter Isobel.
2017 World Championship Last 32
2017 Gibraltar Open Last 128
2017 Shoot Out Last 16
2017 Welsh Open Last 32
2017 German Masters Last 128
2016 Scottish Open Last 64
2016 UK Championship Last 32
2016 Northern Ireland Open Last 32
2016 International Championship Last 64
2016 English Open Last 32
2016 European Masters Last 64
2016 Shanghai Masters Last 64
2016 Paul Hunter Classic Last 64
2016 World Open Last 64
2016 Indian Open Last 128
2016 Riga Masters Last 32