Major snooker tournaments including the World Snooker Championship will be broadcast online in Canada thanks to a new five-year agreement between World Snooker and DAZN CANADA.
Under the new agreement DAZN Canada will show a range of live snooker events this season and beyond, including:
• February 26-March 4: Welsh Open (Cardiff)
• March 9-11: Gibraltar Open (Gibraltar)
• March 12-18: Players Championship (Llandudno)
• April 2-8: China Open (Beijing, China)
• April 21-May 7: World Championship (The Crucible Theatre, Sheffield)
• July 27-29: Riga Masters Riga, Latvia
• August 6-12: World Open, China
• August 24-26: Paul Hunter Classic, Furth, Germany
• September 10-16: Shanghai Masters, China
• September 18-22: Indian Open, India
• September 24-30: China Championship, China
• October 1-7: European Masters, Lommel, Belgium
• October 15-21: English Open, tbc
• October 26-November 4: International Championship, China
• November 5-11: Champion of Champions, Coventry
• November 12-18: Northern Ireland Open, Belfast
• November 27-December 9: UK Championship, York
• December 10-16: Scottish Open, Glasgow
“There is a such a rich snooker heritage in Canada going back to the days of Cliff Thorburn, Kirk Stevens and Big Bill Werbeniuk,” said World Snooker Chairman Barry Hearn. “In more recent times, snooker has become a truly global sport and we believe there is potential in Canada for us to grow even further. The live coverage from DAZN will give all Canadian fans the chance to watch snooker’s biggest stars at the biggest tournaments. We hope to see a high level of demand and to see snooker becoming a major sport in Canada again.”
“In addition to broadcasting competitions, we are working with World Snooker and Snooker Canada on a range of initiatives which will get more people playing and watching the sport,” added Alex Rice, Managing Director for Rights and Strategic Development at DAZN.
“As a sport, we are excited about this online model in Canada where we don’t have linear television coverage. The broadcast world is a changing landscape and we will exploit all opportunities to bring live snooker to new fans and build our vast global footprint, said Patrick Guigui, Founder and President, Snooker Canada Federation. “The timing could not be better, as we prepare for our national tour. The players and fans will definitely embrace this new platform here in Canada.”
Fans in Canada can watch snooker on a range of connected devices, including on TV (Apple TV, Chromecast, Android TV, Samsung, VIZIO SmartCast); Mobile and tablets (download on iOS and Android); Computer (Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Edge, Safari); and Game Consoles (Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 3).
About DAZN Canada
DAZN is the world’s first dedicated live sports streaming service and is currently available in Germany, Switzerland, Austria, Japan and Canada. DAZN launched in Canada in July 2017 with a host of sporting rights. DAZN is the only place that NFL fans can watch every LIVE game of the 2017 season plus NFL RedZone – including pre-season, regular season, the playoffs and Super Bowl. DAZN also offers top European Soccer leagues La Liga, Serie A and Ligue 1, as well as Russia’s Kontinental Hockey League, FIBA Basketball, NatWest 6 Nations, PGA TOUR events, WTA Tennis, Red Bull Air Race, MotoGP and many other LIVE sports.